Western Australian Ground Control Group (WAGCG)
The WAGCG meets 3 times per year. Meetings involve a
technical session and discussion on a particular topic. Discussion
sessions are not minuted and involve new ideas, projects and technologies
being trialled and developed. WAGCG members are invited to present on the chosen
topic. The group has no financial requirements as venues and catering are
sponsored by mining companies and other interested parties.
- To advance knowledge on ground control practices within the mining
industry to promote safe and productive working environments.
- To provide a focus for discussion on ground control practices.
- To be an independent body, free of commercial interests.
- To provide less experienced members with informal mentoring.
- To investigate all aspects of ground control using the available
- To promote widespread industry-based discussion in all aspects of ground
- To comment and provide guidance on ground control practices to members and
other interested parties where considered appropriate.
- Membership of the group is informal.
- Members are free from commercial interests in terms of the supply of
services and products to the mining industry.
- Members represent companies that either operate or manage a mining
- Students are encouraged to attend.
The Western Australian Ground Control Group held its
inaugural meeting in February 1999 and was initially called the Western Australian Ground Control Working Group (WAGCWG). It was formed on the initiative of Yves Potvin, Director of the Australian Centre for Geomechanics.
In August 1999 the Eastern Regional Council (ERC) of the
Chamber of Minerals and Energy of Western Australia was approached for support and the WAGCWG became a sub-committee of the ERC in February 2000. The group's name was changed to Ground Control Group (Western Australia) GCG(WA) in July 2000. In 2005 the group became independent from the ERC.
Geotechnical Engineer, Absolute Geotechnics
Phone: +61 428 933 135
Senior Geotechnical Engineer, Gold Fields Australia
Phone: +61 400 676 920
Senior Geotechnical Engineer, MineGeoTech
Phone: +61 404 450 027