Professional Development (PD)
"For the individual professional, ongoing professional development maintains and develops skills, knowledge and professional networks and for this reason is a core component of any successful professional's career." - AMMOP
Achieve your career goals faster with The AusIMM
The importance of PD
It is a requirement of AusIMM membership that individuals engage in an appropriate level of professional development (PD). Maintaining current knowledge and skills through PD activities is imperative to ensuring AusIMM members continue to be the leading professionals in the global minerals sector.
The purpose of PD activities is to:
- maintain or increase levels of technical and professional competence;
- ensure continuing high quality and efficiency of work – benefiting employers, communities and the economy;
- extend the range of professional skills;
- develop new areas of expertise;
- promote confidence and pride in work;
- establish links with fellow professionals; and
- increase and broaden career opportunities.
There are many everyday activities that count towards professional development. Below is a list of types of PD opportunities with links to some of the activities that The AusIMM currently provides to its members:
- Formal and informal education and training
- Conferences / workshops / technical talk attendance and presentation
- Reading of learned technical publications
- Publication of articles in learned technical publications
- Participation in committees and groups related to The AusIMM
- Mentoring - either as a mentor or by being mentored
- Informal mentoring can be given and received through member activities. Some Branches and Student Chapters hold mentoring information sessions and speed mentoring.
- On the job training
- A variety of on-the-job training can be counted towards PD. The AusIMM encourages this practice but does not provide this in any formal capacity.
- Site visits to different operations
- Community engagement
- Engaging with the community through presentations and active involvement with local community projects to lift the profile of the minerals industry and its professions. Many AusIMM members work with their local Branch to participate in this capacity.
PD categories of opportunities
Opportunities exist not only in technical disciplines, but across a number of categories that cater to development of professional and technical skills. There are also a number of external service providers of specialised PD opportunities, which can be located through universities, professional bodies and commercial operators. AusIMM Branches may also be able to assist with information on PD opportunities held locally, including technical courses, presentations, seminars and conferences.
The AusIMM's Professional Development Committee (PDC) has been created to assist in promoting professional development through the entire lifetime of minerals professionals and to assist The AusIMM in moving forward in focussing on PD as a lifetime of learning, helping others to keep up to date and informed.
The committee is currently focussing on creating new online, face-to-face, and on-site PD opportunities for AusIMM members. If you have ideas on PD content or delivery methods that the AusIMM should look into please contact us using the feedback form.